I generally hear such philosophies from people who don't belong to this category of being single child. For them being single is like some great great thing. Try putting yourself in following situations i'm going to scribble below..
- You are experiencing an emotional breakdown, its 3 in the morning, do you expect to trouble your parents every time for small small issues of life.
- You and your mom-dad don't agree on some demand of yours, and you have nobody to back you.
- You get an over protective care from them, and its start getting irritating after some time.
- You want to play double player games.
- You want to abuse someone, knowing that you would get abused in return without any harm feelings.
- You need someone to tell, the shirt you wearing isn't looking good on you.
- You need someone to fight with.
- You generally get over-depended for small small things.
You generally find substitute for your sibling, be it in cousin form, girl-friend, or your best/special friend,...but you will always land up realizing that you have a limit for that as each one of them have a life of their's own..and you cannot intrude into it every time you get an emotional breakdown or got a new crush... moreover the personal touch still remains missing.
I agree the positive points for being single kid must be equally strong, may be it so !! As the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. But still i personally feel being a single sibling isn't good for me at all..